Saturday, April 6, 2013

Roasted Vegetable Salad with Balsamic Shrimp

This salad is my take on the roasted veggie salad that a certain California pizza chain makes. It's my favorite dish on the menu and since I don't eat there often I decided to do my own take of this hearty and satisfying salad. I first made this as a side salad for some friends my sister and I made dinner for after they had a baby. It went perfectly with the down home meatloaf, mashed potatoes and green beans we served. It was so good that I made it today for lunch with sauteed shrimp and since I personally love a lot of different flavors in salads, the heap of roasted veggies made this my idea of dish heaven. I dressed the greens in a simple Dijon balsamic vinaigrette to add the note of brightness that complements the deep flavor of the vegetables. This is looking to be my new signature salad.






Roasted Vegetable Salad with Balsamic Shrimp
1/2 Zucchini
1/2 Red Onion
12 Stalks of Asparagus
2 Carrots
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Mixed Greens

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Slice all the vegetables into similar sizes so they cook evenly. You want to make them small enough so you won't have to cut up your salad when you eat it. Toss the veggies with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread out on a metal baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes. Let cool and set aside until ready to use. 


Dijon Balsamic Dressing
1/3 Cup Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
1 Tablespoon Basil, chopped
2 Teaspoons Red Onion, finely diced
1 Clove Garlic, minced
Salt and Pepper



Combine all ingredients in a jar and shake to combine. Set aside until ready to use. Do not use this entire recipe for the salad. A little goes a long way. 

Balsamic Shrimp
1/2 LB Shrimp, peeled
1 Teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
Juice of Half a Lemon
Salt and Pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and let marinate 5 minutes. Heat a large pan to medium high heat. Pour shrimp and marinade into pan and cook until shrimp is cooked through and the marinade has evaporated. Transfer cooked shrimp to a plate and set aside until ready to use. 

To assemble the salad, dress the greens with the Dijon balsamic dressing in a large bowl. Start with 1-2 tablespoons at a time so you don't overdress the salad. Transfer the salad to a large bowl or plate and top with the roasted vegetables and shrimp. Eat and enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment