Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Thai Peanut Green Papaya and Vegetable Salad



Over the weekend I went to unique Thai restaurant where you just show up and dinner is served. There was no menu and no options of what you get to eat and the meal was amazing! It was just what I wanted in Thai flavors with a few surprises as well. One of my favorite dishes was a spicy green papaya salad with a peanut dressing. It's only been a few days since I had this but I haven't been able to stop thinking about it- a true sign of a great dish! Tonight I decided to try my hand and make my own version. It's not a traditional Thai green papaya salad but it gave me the flavors I was looking for. This would be a great picnic side dish or simply add some shredded chicken or steamed shrimp and you have a great lunch or dinner. Don't be afraid of the length of the ingredient list, this is a pretty quick recipe to make. 





Thai Peanut Green Papaya and Vegetable Salad 
3 Tablespoons Peanut Butter
2 Tablespoons Chili Garlic Sauce
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
1/2 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
1/4 Cup Water
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
2" Piece of Ginger, peeled and grated
1 Clove of Garlic, Minced
1 Tablespoon Cilantro, chopped
1/4 Teaspoon Yellow Curry
Juice of 1 1/2 Limes
1/2 Green Papaya, seeded, peeled and grated
2 Cups Broccoli Slaw
1 Cup Shredded Red Cabbage
1 Cup Edamame, steamed and cooled
1 Tablespoon Cilantro, roughly chopped

Start by making the peanut dressing for the salad. Combine the peanut butter through lime juice in a large bowl and whisk together. Set aside. Next, combine the papaya, broccoli slaw, red cabbage, edamame and cilantro in a large bowl. Season with a small amount of salt. Toss the salad with about half of the peanut dressing. Taste and add more if need be. Garnish with lime wedges and extra cilantro if desired. Add chicken or shrimp if desired. 




No comments:

Post a Comment