Sunday, April 14, 2013

Roasted Tomato 'BLT' Cristini


I joined a Duck Pin bowling league in the beginning of Spring with some friends and with such a fun sports league we enjoy bringing different snacks to enjoy.This week I decided to bring my Roasted Tomato 'BLT' Cristini. It's a personal creation of mine based on a sandwich I had a few years ago at a small coffee shop. This little item is great as a cristini but can be turned into a flat bread or sandwich just as easily. I've been wanting to try to flat bread version but I kept with my tried and true recipe since I was going to be traveling with this snack and it would be served room temperature. I think the flat bread will be better hot. I've made this appetizer for several different holidays and parties and everyone has always enjoyed the different flavors it melds together. The roasted tomatoes are my favorite party and I'd eat them on everything! Even if you're not a tomato fan, you may still enjoy these. The flavor and texture are completely different and you'll benefit from trying them!






Roasted Tomato 'BLT' Cristini
1 Baguette, sliced
24 Roasted Tomatoes
Hot Pepper Jelly
Bacon, cooked and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
Sharp Cheddar and Blue Cheese

To make the cristini you'll want to toast the baguette until it's golden brown. Put the slices on a cookie sheet, spray with olive oil and bake at 350 Degrees. Once they are toasted, removed and let cool. This can be done the day before you want to make these if you're looking for a time saver. 

When you're ready to assemble the cristini, spread the hot pepper jelly onto each piece. Top with either the blue or cheddar cheese. I like to serve both of these to allow anyone who doesn't like blue cheese to still enjoy this. Next top the cheese with the bacon and roasted tomato. Place the cristini on a platter and watch as they are devoured!  



Roasted Tomatoes
12+ Campari Tomatoes- you can also use plum or cherry
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Sugar
Salt Pepper

Preheat oven to 450 Degrees. Slice your tomatoes in half and use a small spoon to scoop out the inside of each tomato so it resembles a bowl. Place all the scooped tomatoes in a bowl and coat with olive oil. Spread the tomatoes on an oiled cookie sheet, cup side up, and sprinkle with salt, pepper and a little sugar. Brush with a little balsamic vinegar and bake 20-30 minutes. The burnt bites are the most flavorful so don't be afraid if some of the tomatoes
get dark. 










No comments:

Post a Comment