Sunday, April 7, 2013

Lemon Rosemary Pork with Cherry Mustard Sauce

Last week I was out of town with my family visiting my grandmother for Easter. She lives in Southport, NC, which is the perfect small town with cute restaurants that depend on good food if they want to stay in business. One of the nights we ate at a small bistro style restaurant with dishes ranging from Asian to Italian cuisine. I was sold on a grilled pork tenderloin with a cherry mustard compote. It reminded me the sauteed pork chops in a cherry gravy that I used to make- my first "unique" recipe that I found while in college. I had pretty high hopes for the dish and it didn't disappoint. The mouthwatering  tangy essence of the compote and the succulent flavor of the pork made this meal my favorite of the trip. Now that I'm back home I decided to take the dish I loved and create my version of it. It was a perfect Sunday night meal and would be really nice for a dinner party. I'll be storing this gem for the next time I have friends over!





Lemon Rosemary Pork with Cherry Mustard Sauce
2 Thick Cut Pork Loin Chops
1 Tablespoon Fresh Rosemary, chopped
1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
Zest and Juice of 1 Lemon
1 Tablespoon Whole Grain Mustard
Salt and Pepper
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Butter
Cherry Mustard Sauce

Preheat oven to 350 Degrees. Combine rosemary, onion and garlic powder, lemon zest and juice, and mustard in a small bowl. Cover the pork loin chops in the marinade and let sit 10 minutes. After the pork has marinated, heat the olive oil in a large skillet that is oven safe. Sear the pork on both sides until it's golden brown then place the skillet directly into the oven for 20-30 minutes, depending on the thickness of the pork. Once the pork is done place on a plate and tent with foil so the meat can rest. Put the pan with the drippings on the stove top over medium heat and stir in butter and cherry mustard sauce. Bring the sauce to a boil and reduce for a few minutes. When you're ready to eat slice the pork and pour any juices into the cherry sauce. Drizzle the pork with the cherry mustard sauce. I served my pork with sauteed spinach and roasted sweet potatoes with a rosemary, red pepper butter.

Cherry Mustard Sauce
1 Cup Fresh or Frozen Cherries, pitted
1/4 Cup Whole Grain Mustard
1 Tablespoon Honey
2 Tablespoons Red Wine
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside until ready to combine with pan drippings. 



No comments:

Post a Comment