Sunday, May 5, 2013

Spicy Honey Lime Chicken

Today I attempted my first grilling experience and I knocked it out of the park! I've dabbled in grilling here and there but have only cooked the occasional hot dog or hamburger. Today I wanted to try grilling chicken. Simple as it sounds, I've had more dried out grilled chicken than juicy succulent chicken in my lifetime. Be that as it may, I wanted to see if I could do it. Instead of the traditional cook-out favorite of BBQ chicken, I wanted to do a twist to tequila lime chicken and came up with my spicy honey lime chicken. The marinade and glaze gave the chicken a lot of flavor. I served the chicken with my Avocado Salad and cilantro, lime rice. I was really impressed with how it turned out and can't wait to get out there and grill again!




Spicy Honey Lime Chicken
3-4 Chicken Breasts
3 Tablespoons Lite Soy Sauce
3 Tablespoons Orange Juice
2 Tablespoons Honey
1 Tablespoon Garlic Chili Sauce
1 Teaspoon Sriracha
1 Clove of Garlic, roughly chopped
1/4 Cup Tequila
Juice of 1 Lime
Handful of Cilantro, chopped

Combine all the ingredients into a large plastic bag and let marinate in the refrigerator for around 3 hours. You don't want to marinate the chicken too long because the acidity will start to cook the chicken. 30 minutes before you're ready to grill, remove the chicken from the refrigerator and let it come down to room temperature. 

While the chicken is sitting out, heat your grill. I used a gas grill and put one side on high to sear the chicken and the other side to medium. I was ready to cook when the grill temperature read 600 degrees.



When you're ready to cook, spray the grill with Pam and place the chicken breasts on the high heat side of the grill at a 45 degree angle. This will help you achieve the nice grill marks. Cook for 2 minutes and then flip the chicken and cook another 2 minutes. The searing will help keep the chicken stay moist and juicy. 

Next move the chicken to the medium heat side of the grill and turn down the high side to medium.  Brush the top sides of the chicken with the glaze, cover and cook for 8-10 minutes. Flip the chicken, brush more glaze on the top sides and cook another 8-10 minutes. You'll want the internal temperature of the chicken to read 165 degrees. Once the chicken is done, brush with more glaze, cover with foil and let cool on a cutting board or plate for 5 minutes. 

When you're ready to eat, slice the chicken on the bias, brush with more glaze and garnish with lime wedges and chopped cilantro. 

Honey Lime Glaze
3 Tablespoons Orange Juice
2 Tablespoons Honey
Juice of Half a Lime
2 Teaspoons Garlic Chili Sauce

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and heat in the microwave 30 seconds. Whisk to combine and set aside until ready to use. This is a very thin glaze so the more coats you use the better!




No comments:

Post a Comment