Monday, August 19, 2013

Kale Salad with Roasted Beets and Granola

While shopping at Williams Sonoma this weekend, they had an Artisans' Market! There were 6 local vendors showcasing their products. My favorite product was Michele's Granola. I've never been a big fan of granola because it is too crunchy. Michele's Granola was so light and fresh that it was like a new product to me. Crazy delicious! I asked Michele how she recommended eating the granola and if there were any savory suggested pairings. She suggested using it as a replacement for croutons in a salad and I liked the idea. After leaving the store, 2 hours later, my mom and I were starving and stopped for a quick lunch at a local sandwich shop where I got a Kale Salad with Granola! I had to order it just because it had the granola on it. The salad was good but a little bitter since the dressing has preserved lemon in it. I really liked the granola on it, and I knew I could make it to more of my liking. The granola added the perfect amount of sweetness and I still can't get over how nice the texture is! I'm going to have to buy more soon so I can experiment with other ways to eating it.





Kale Salad with Roasted Beets and Granola
1 Bunch of Lacinato Kale, Washed and Chopped
1/2 Cup of Granola, I recommend Michele's Granola
1-2 Large Red Beets, peeled and diced 
1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Creamy Herb Dressing


To Roast the beets, heat your oven to 450 degrees. Season the beets with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast until fork tender. About 20-30 minutes depending on the size of your dice. Once done, set aside and let cool. 

Wash the Kale and put in a large bowl to dress it. Use as much dressing as you'd like. For 2 cups of kale I used about 2 tablespoons of the dressing. Toss to coat and transfer kale to a serving dish. Top with the roasted beets and granola and serve! I didn't feel like I needed any protein with this salad and I think it's a great side dish as well. 


** You can also find roasted beets in the refrigerated section of some grocery stores. They are very tasty and save time! I like roasting my own but in a time crunch I will buy these. I know Trader Joe's has them.**

Creamy Herb Dressing
2/3 Cup Sour Cream
2 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
1 Teaspoon White Vinegar 
2 Teaspoon Fresh Basil
2 Teaspoon Fresh Italian Parsley
1 Teaspoon Fresh Chives
1 Teaspoon Fresh Thyme
2 Tablespoons Water
Juice of 1/4 of a lemon
Salt and Pepper


Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. You can use this right away or store in the fridge until you're ready to eat. 






No comments:

Post a Comment