Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Spring Vegetable Risotto

The kitchen is one of my favorite places to be and yesterday was no exception! After a rather peculiar day all I wanted to do when I got home was enjoy a class of wine and get in my kitchen! I've been putting off making risotto since it's been too hot but yesterday the weather was perfect for a bowl of the creamy goodness. Since it's Spring I wanted to use what vegetables were in season and thus came my idea of a Spring Vegetable Risotto. I've made risotto's before and have always really enjoyed them but this recipe really takes the cake! I was thoroughly impressed with my impromptu dinner that I made up on the fly. I even had seconds, and I don't do that often! Eating this while sitting outside on my balcony with a glass of wine was the icing, or should I saw cheese on my risotto! I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. 



Spring Vegetable Risotto
1 Cup of Arborio Rice
1/2 Medium Onion
1 Tablespoon Butter
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
2 14oz Cans of Chicken Stock
1 Cup of Dry White Wine
1 Package of Mushrooms
1 Bunch of Asparagus, trimmed
1 Cup of Peas, fresh or frozen
1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated or shredded
Zest of 1 Lemon
1 Tablespoon Fresh Italian Parsley, chopped
Pepper to Taste
Salt to Taste

To start the risotto heat a large dutch oven over medium heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Chop the asparagus stalks into 1" pieces and saute until it just starts to turn tender. Salt and saute 2 minutes more then remove the asparagus from the pot and place in a bowl. 

While the asparagus is cooking, place the mushrooms in a dry non-stick pan over medium heat and cook until all the liquid has been removed. Only after all the released liquid is removed do you want to salt them. Remove from pan when they are done and all to the bowl of asparagus. 

After the asparagus is done you can add the tablespoon of butter and remaining olive oil to the dutch oven and cook the onion until it starts to get translucent. I like to lower the heat to medium-low so the onions start to caramelize a little. 

Once the onions are done, increase the heat back to medium and add in the rice. Stir to coat with remaining butter/olive oil mixture. Toast the rice for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Next add in the cup of white wine and stir every few minutes until it's completely absorbed. Then add in the chicken stock 1/2 cup at a time until all the liquid has been absorbed. Once all the liquid is absorbed remove the pot from the heat and stir in the cheese. Stir until it's melted through then add the peas, mushrooms and asparagus. Stir until the peas are heated through. Add the lemon zest, pepper and parsley. Taste and add salt if need be. I did not thanks to the Parmesan cheese. I like to serve this with a little more cheese, lemon zest and parsley on top. This is great as a meal or as a side dish! 




No comments:

Post a Comment