Monday, June 3, 2013

Steak and Potato "Lollipops" with Horseradish Cream Sauce

I'm always looking for new easy appetizers to have in my recipe back pocket and I've just added a new one! Sometimes you need to have a heartier appetizer to serve if you don't feel like making an entire meal and cocktail meatballs just don't do it for me. I wanted a play on a normal meal and came up with these Steak and Potato "Lollipops" To dress them up a bit I decided to make a horseradish cream sauce to really give this dish an edge. I also like the versatility of this dish because sometimes it's just not feasible to have a hot appetizer and these lollipops are great at room temperature or cold. The horseradish cream sauce is probably my favorite element of this dish. Even my sister, who refused to try it at first, loved it. I could seem the gleam of delight in her eyes after the first bite. 







Steak and Potato "Lollipop" 
with Horseradish Cream Sauce 
1 Lb Flank Steak
12 Roasted Baby Red Potatoes
Horseradish Cream Sauce
Fresh Chives for Garnish


To assemble the lollipops, slice the Flank Steak, as thin as you can get it. Wrap a slice of the steak around a roasted red potato and secure with a pickle fork! When you're ready to plate the lollipops, put some of the horseradish cream sauce on your serving dish and place the lollipops on top. Finish with with a drizzle of sauce and garnish with fresh chives. This can be served hot or cold. Just wait to add the horseradish cream sauce until you're about to serve is serving hot. 

Horseradish Cream Sauce
1/4 Cup Sour Cream
1/4 Cup Mayonnaise
3-5 Tablespoons of Grated Horseradish
1/2 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 Clove of Garlic
1 Tablespoon of Chives, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
Zest of half a lemon

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Taste and adjust the seasonings to your flavor. I would start with 3 tablespoons of horseradish so see how intense the flavor is. I like mine pretty strong so I went with 5 tablespoons. Let the sauce refrigerate for an hour before serving.

Roasted Red Potatoes
12 Baby Red Potatoes
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Fresh Rosemary, Chopped

Heat your oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl combine all the ingredients and toss to coat. You want to make sure all the potatoes are covered nicely. Place on a baking sheet and cook until fork tender. Once the potatoes are done, let cool until you're ready to use. 





No comments:

Post a Comment