Sunday, December 1, 2013

Turkey Pot Pies


Oh hello there!! I know it's been a while... Life has been a little hectic these past few months. I'm in the process of buying a house so between the packing and busy work schedule I haven't had a lot of free time. Now that my life is in house limbo, I have seemed to muster up some free time to do what I love- Cook! And what better season to start blogging my recipes again than fall? It's my favorite time of year with my favorite flavors. We had plenty of turkey left over from Thanksgiving so I decided to use the leftovers to make turkey pot pies! This is my first time making a pot pie of any kind and I can't wait to experiment with different versions of vegetable blends. I kept this recipe very simple by using a bag of frozen vegetables- less prep and sometimes you just need that, but I'd like to do this with roasted vegetables.  




























Turkey Pot Pies
2 Cups Turkey Breast, diced
16 Ounce Bag Classic Vegetable Medley
2 Cups Red Potatoes, diced
2 Ribs Celery, diced
1/3 Cup Onion, diced
3 Tablespoons Butter, divided
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
1 Tablespoon Fresh Parsley, chopped
1 Teaspoon Fresh Rosemary, chopped
1/8 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
1/8 Teaspoon Poultry Seasoning
1 Cup Chicken Stock
1 1/2 Cups 2 % Milk
1/4 Cup and 2 Tablespoons Dry White Wine
1/4 Cup Flour
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 Package Pie Crust

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the onions and celery until they start to soften. Season with salt and pepper. Add in the diced potatoes and continue cooking until the potatoes are slightly soften. Season with salt and pepper. Add in the mixed vegetable medley and stir to combine. Taste and adjust the flavor if need be. You want the vegetable mixture to be seasoned fully. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl. 

In the same skillet, heat the remaining butter and olive oil. Once melted, sprinkle with flour and cook until the flour starts to turn a little brown. Grab a whisk and pour in the 1/4 cup white wine while whisking quickly. Add in the milk and continue to whisk until all the lumps are smoothed out. Add in the chicken stock and stir to combine everything. Increase heat to medium high and bring the sauce to a hard simmer. Let simmer until the sauce is thickened. Turn off heat and stir in the fresh herbs, thyme, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper, and 2 tablespoons white wine. Stir to combine and add in the diced turkey. Stir to combine and add in the cooked vegetable mixture.

Now that the mixture is ready, you can put this is any dish you'd like. I chose individual mini pie dishes to portion out the mixture. I only had 6 dishes but had 7 servings. (I just gave the 7th serving to my sister and told her to pick the topping she wanted) I cut the pie crust to size and did different designs on each dish. To get the perfect golden brown crust I brushed each crust with egg wash. I cooked these at 400 degrees for 15 minutes then I rotated the pan and cooked another 15 minutes until the crusts were golden brown. If you decide to do 1 large pot pie just watch the cooking time until the crust is golden brown. The mixture inside is cooked so you don't have to worry about that being done. Serve as is or with a nice side salad to round out the meal! 




1 comment: