Sunday, December 8, 2013

Smoked Ham Hock and White Bean Stew

It seems winter has decided to arrive a little early this year. We've currently enjoying a beautiful snowfall. Combine that with having plenty of things to do around the house and the desire not to be in front of the stove all day and cue my slow cooker! It's perfect for today. I can enjoy a delicious hearty meal without really having to do anything. This white bean soup is an adaption from a cooking light recipe but with me I always have to add my own touches. I was excited about this recipe because it uses dry beans and I've never used them before. Plus you don't have to soak them! The soup turned out thick and hearty- perfect a cold night.





White Bean Soup
1 Lb Dried Great Northern Beans
1 1/2 Cups Carrots, diced
1 1/2 Cups Celery, diced
1 1/2 Cups Onion, diced
3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
1 Tablespoon Fresh Rosemary, chopped
1 1/2-2 Lbs Smoked Ham Hocks
7 Cups of Chicken Stock
1 Can Diced Tomatoes
Salt and Pepper to Taste










Put all the ingredients into your slow cook except the diced tomatoes. Don't add too much salt because you'll want to taste the soup after it's done cooking to see how salty the ham hocks make the soup. I use reduced sodium stock when cooking so I know I add a hearty pinch of it. Cook on low for 8 hours. You can stir the soup a few times if you'd like. After 8 hours of cooking remove the ham hock. You may get some meat off of it- chop and add it if you'd like. I did not get any meat from them but it did give great flavor. Taste and adjust seasonings. I added more pepper and salt. Drain the can of tomatoes and add in half of them. Stir to combine. You can add more if you'd like. I felt that half the can was enough. Serve and enjoy!



Check out the original recipe that gave me my inspiration! 



No comments:

Post a Comment