Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Potato Leek Soup

I find that I always have leftover ingredients after a week of meals. They fall through the cracks and end up in the trashcan and me asking myself, where has all my food gone?! Instead of going through the same cycle again I decided to do the common sense thing and use those ingredients to make something new. This week I had two leeks, one potato and half a zucchini left and decided I'd make my potato leek soup. I used to make this a lot but haven't whipped this up for a long time so I was excited to eat it. This is a small batch recipe and yielded only two servings. It was a really nice way to use up what I had on hand and it was so good I will be making a bigger batch in the next few weeks.

Potato Leek Soup
2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
2 Leeks, trimmed, washed and chopped
1 Red Potato, peeled and diced
1/2 Half a Zucchini, diced
2 Cups of Chicken Stock
1/4 Cup Half and Half
1 Small Clove of Garlic, chopped
Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
Salt and Pepper to Taste
Chives for Garnish
Chili Oil for Garnish

Heat olive oil and red pepper flakes over medium heat and saute leeks until softened. Add zucchini and potatoes and cook about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 3 minutes. Stir in chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer soup until potatoes are fork tender. Remove from heat and puree mixture. I have an immersion blender so I can do this right in the pot. Once mixture is smooth, put back on the heat and simmer until the soup starts to thicken, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper. Once the soup has thicken, about 5-7 minutes, stir in half an half and stir to incorporate. Garnish with fresh chives and chili oil. 




No comments:

Post a Comment