Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Green Smoothie

I recently saw a recipe for a green smoothie with kale in Prevention magazine. Not only did it have kale but celery and parsley. I was pretty intrigued and have been looking for a quick energizer for the morning aside from my daily cup of joe so I figured I'd give it a try. I tweaked the original recipe to include more green fruits and I've been enjoying it most mornings. I was surprised that the flavor of the parsley and mint were my favorite flavor notes of the smoothie. Drink on!!

Green Smoothie
1 Cup Chopped Kale Leaves
 The Prevention Magazine recipe reccomended Lacinato Kale and that's what I've been using.
1 Rib Celery Chopped
1/3 Cup Frozen Pineapple- Slightly Thawed
1/3 Cup Frozen Mango- Slightly Thawed
1/3 Cup Green Grapes
1/3 Cup Chopped Granny Smith Apple- skin on
1 Cup Orange Juice
1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley
1/4 Cup Fresh Mint

Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. I have an immersion blender that came with a smoothie cup so I use that for my smoothies. This recipe makes two servings. 

Because you have to buy larger quantities of the fresh ingredients I will make enough smoothies to use up the kale and freeze 1 cup portions in bags. I just thaw them a day a head of time in my fridge or take them to work for a snack for later. 


No comments:

Post a Comment