Thursday, October 29, 2015

Maple Soy Salmon and Brussels Sprouts

I have to admit, I never really thought of pairing salmon and Brussels sprouts together. It just didn't seem like a very natural food pairing to me, but since I had a pound of them in my fridge and some salmon in my freezer I figured , why not try it! To me, maple always goes really nicely with sprouts and soy with salmon so I combined those two flavors and was extremely happy with how it turned out. I added a little whole grain mustard for tang, sriracha for heat and lemon juice for a little acidity. I'd describe the sauce as a sort of maple teriyaki and it's delicious. It mingles very nicely with the hearty Brussels sprouts but is still light enough to let the salmon shine. Not to mention it's ready in under 30 minutes- a huge plus for me when it's already getting dark outside and I'm ready to relax after a day at work. To serve, I just placed the salmon over the Brussels sprouts. It's a very elegant dish, perfect for entertaining! 




 Maple Soy Salmon and Brussels Sprouts

1 Lb Brussels Sprouts, trimmed and halved
8 Ounces Salmon
1/8 Cup Maple Syrup
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon Whole grain Mustard
Juice of Half a Lemon
1/2 Green Onion, chopped
Sriracha to Taste
Salt and Pepper to Taste
Olive Oil


Heat oven to 450 degrees. Combine the maple syrup, soy sauce, mustard, lemon juice, sriracha, green opinion and pepper to taste in a measuring cup. Using a fork, combine until all of the ingredients are incorporated. Set aside. 

Toss the Brussels Sprouts with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes. While the sprouts are cooking, heat a little olive oil over medium heat in a large skilled. divide the salmon into two portions and season with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. You'll only need to use a little salt. Saute until each side is golden brown. Cooking time will varying depending on the size and thickness of the filet.  When done, add in half the maple soy glaze and spoon over the tops of the salmon. cover and remove from heat. 

After the sprouts are done cooking, pour the remaining glaze over them and toss to combine. cook for 2-3 minutes, toss and roast for an additional 2-3 minutes. When ready to serve, place the sprouts on a platter and place the salmon on top. Drizzle any remaining glaze over the salmon and enjoy! 

** This recipes serves 2 but is very easy to double or triple depending on how many people you're serving.**


No comments:

Post a Comment