Monday, March 4, 2013

Orange Ginger Beef and Broccoli

I've been in the mood for some Chinese carry-out lately but didn't want to settle for the grease and soggy dishes that typically arrive. I've been playing around with more Asian ingredients lately so I figured I'd try  my best to create my own carry-out. What ended up on my plate was a really tasty, sweet and savory dish that hit all the flavor points I wanted. The chili garlic sauce added a nice touch of heat without being too over powering. I can't wait to experiment with more carry-out make-overs and I think I may just make this recipe again with chicken later in the week.
































Orange Ginger Beef and Broccoli

6 Ounces Flank Steak
2 Teaspoons Fresh Ginger
2 Tablespoons Apricot Preserves
2 Tablespoons Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1/8 Teaspoon Sesame Oil
2 Teaspoons Chili Garlic Sauce
Juice 1 Orange
1 Clove Garlic, minced
1 Head of Broccoli, chopped
**Recipe is for two servings**

Place the flank steak in the freezer while you make the marinade. Combine the remaining ingredients through garlic in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Remove the flank steak from the freezer and slice into thin strips. Place the steak in the marinade and let sit 2-3 hours. When ready to cook, heat a large pan with a small amount of olive oil over medium high heat. Cook the beef about 2-3 minutes on each side. You'll have some of the marinade in with the beef while cooking and you'll cook until the marinade is completely evaporated. Lower the heat if you need to. Once the beef is cooked, remove from pan and add in the remaining marinade and 1/4 cup water. Cook down until the sauce starts to thicken. Add in the the broccoli and saute until the broccoli is cooked, you may need to cover and steam for a few minutes. Once the broccoli is cooked you're ready to eat. You can mix the broccoli and beef together but I kept them separate.  I served my dish with brown rice and ginger chili garlic snow peas






No comments:

Post a Comment